Travel quotes can express many emotions and feelings. Knowing new places, rediscovering familiar spaces, the feeling of disconnection, leisure, learning…
To express the desire to travel, the excitement of discovering new things, there is a word in English: WANDERLUST.
Let’s feed our “wanderlust” with the best phrases, written by famous travelers, adventurers, writers or explorers:
- “Travel, in the younger sort, is a part of education; in the elder, a part of experience”. Francis Bacon (1561-1626) English writer, philosopher, and politician.
“Traveling, when young, is education, when older, it is experience.”
- « Pour voyager heureux, voyagez léger ». Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944) French writer and aviator. Author of “The Little Prince”
“To travel happy, travel light.”
- “To awaken alone in a strange town is one of the most pleasant sensations in the world.” Freya Stark. (1893-1993) British explorer and writer.
“Waking up alone, in a strange city is one of the most pleasant sensations in the world.”
- « L’homme ne peut découvrir de nouveaux océans sans avoir le courage de perdre de vue le rivage. » André Gide (1869-1951) French writer, and Nobel Prize for Literature.
“Man cannot discover new oceans without the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
- “Di una città non apprezzi le sette o settantasette meraviglie, ma la risposta che dà ad una tua domanda”. Italo Calvino (1923-1983) Italian journalist and writer.
“From a city, you do not appreciate the seven, or the seventy-seven wonders, but the answer it gives to one of your questions.”
- “We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us.” John Steinbeck (1902-1968) American writer, Nobel Prize for Literature. Author of East of Eden.
“We discovered, after years of struggle, that we don’t make a trip, the trip makes us.”
- “I will travel and change posti conferisce new vigor to the mind.” Lucio Anneo Seneca (4 BC – 65 AD) Italian philosopher, politician and orator.
“Traveling and changing places revitalizes the mind.”
- “He who reads a lot and walks a lot, sees a lot and knows a lot.” Miguel de Cervantes. (1547-1616) Spanish novelist, poet, playwright and soldier. Called the Prince of Wits.
- “Traveling is essential and the thirst for travel, a clear symptom of intelligence.” Enrique Jardiel Poncela (1901-1952) Spanish writer and playwright.
- “More important than the trip itself is what remains in the traveler’s spirit.” Miguel de la Quadra-Salcedo (1932-2016) Reporter, athlete, and cultural promoter. Founder of the Quetzal Route.
Traveling is one of the best ways to open your mind and heart to the world.
I hope that the inspiration comes to you from the hand of these great adventurers and travelers! Which of these quotes inspires you the most? Which do you think is the best? Is there any other, which I have not mentioned? Write me your comments!